Business Planning Workshop Register now In this action-packed 2…Read More
Register Now Preview modal- Financial markets are moving and…Read More
An Accountants guide to Footy Tipping Posted on October 19, 2020
With the Football Grand Final upon us this weekend, our team has wrapped up our annual tipping competition. It turns out we have three types of tippers in the office:
- The typical Accountant – always tips the favourites.
- The die-hard Accountant – watches every game, goes for the upsets, has to support their team first and then still never wins. Has all the stats and information. Has a suggestion or a hot tip but is reluctant to win a round.
- The not-into-sport Accountant – The person that picks based on any old idea. Typically not into footy, only in it because the rest of the team dragged them in. Will tip the Cowboys because they wrangle Broncos, tips the Sharks because they eat Eels, tips the Dragons because they scorch the Rabbitohs.
The winners are full of strategic advice and hot air, and if you give them the opportunity, here’s what they’d tell you…
- Don’t make emotional decisions – loyalty to your team will come at great expense.
- Cut out the noise – everyone has an opinion when it comes to footy. Stay focused on the facts, and don’t let opinion and commentary cloud your judgement.
- Watch the odds – this is proven to be the most accurate source of advice.
- Don’t leave it to chance – flipping a coin will get you nowhere in life.
- Be quietly confident and play the long game – overconfidence too early will always come back to bite you. A top spot on the ladder at the end will give you bragging rights for a whole year.
Well, we hope you enjoy the Grand Final this weekend. Whether football is your thing or not, it’s nice to see sport disrupt the headlines momentarily to invite some healthy and fun banter. Go Panthers!
Written by Grant Robertson